Whangarei city library is a modern, glass walled building with great light and a real feeling of space and airiness.
Most of the attendees were from the Whangarei area.Some were well advanced into their writing projects, and a few were just starting out on theirs, so we had a great mix of students.
Participants learned how to approach their legacy/life story project as a writer would - using storytelling approaches to engage the reader in your story - including:
- description using Show/Don't Tell
- use of metaphor and motif
- how to layout dialogue to ebb and flow and contain a sense of place and landscape
- how to bring your dialogue scenes to life (to give the reader insight into the people in your legacy story - even though they never met them)
- how to structure the narrative, including flashback technique to capture moments from the past in immediate time
- how to think of your writing in terms of both the horizontal (plot and sequential event) and vertical axis (resonance, meaning, character insight)
The next legacy writing workshop series will be in Auckland. Keep an eye on the homepage for further info.